This course will consist of an overview (not comprehensive) of the doctrine of God, and the origin, method, and doctrine of major cults. All cults deviate from main foundational biblical truths, i.e., the nature of God, man, inspiration, and eschatology (last things).
Listen to all audio lessons, complete all reading assignments, take all tests, and write a paper on an approved topic.
Audio – 20%
Reading – 20%
Tests – 30%
Paper – 30%
Guidelines for Paper:
Submit topic for approval before week 6
6-10 pages in length
Form: Chicago Manual Style
The Challenge of the Cults and New Religion, by Ron Rhodes ISBN: 9780310829065
The God Of The Bible And Other Gods, Is the Christian God Unique Among World Religions? by Robert P. Lightner ISBN: 1579786529
Note: each book will require some correction where “evangelical” doctrines, i.e., Calvinism, pre-millennialism, are injected in to the discussion of cults and so-called Christian orthodoxy. Only selected sections of Lightner’s book are required reading…a portable document format (pdf) of each selected section will be accessible to the student for online reading.
Recommended (not required) Reading:
1. The Kingdom Of The Cults, by Walter Martin ISBN: 9780764228216
2. What The Cults Believe (Expanded Edition) by Irvine Robertson ISBN: 08024941454.
3. Cults, World Religions and the Occult, by Kenneth Boa ISBN: 08969382394.
4. The Truth About Worldviews, A Biblical Understanding of Worldview Alternatives, by James P. Eckman ISBN: 1581346727
5. God's Prophetic Word, by Foy E. Wallace Jr.
- Teacher: Mike Hogan